1982 to 2013: The Evolution of WeHo’s Santa Monica Boulevard

Yellow Submarine and the Old Barn at the northwest corner of Santa Monica Boulevard and Harper, 1982
... now the decidedly more healthy Flowering Tree vegetarian restaurant and a massage parlor (Photo by Jon Viscott)
… replaced by the decidedly more healthy Flowering Tree vegetarian restaurant and a massage parlor, with the Garden of Taxco in the rear (Photo by Jon Viscott)
0 0 votes
Article Rating

Notify of
guest

Newest
Oldest
Inline Feedbacks
Dianne Frye
Dianne Frye
3 years ago

We were wild!!! 1976 blur partot, mi keys odessey etc. I have pics!!

Tom Doherty
Tom Doherty
3 years ago

John Mackey,
Great tale. Winning isn’t everything. You did a huge service for this 1.9 mile Mecca.
I’ll salute you and thank you forever!!
Tom @detoile

HoosierGal
HoosierGal
4 years ago

I simply HAD to comment. I knew Greg before he moved to California. I was blessed to have known him for approximately six years. If any of you had the pleasure of knowing Greg, this should not be a surprise to you. I’ve never, in my lifetime, of nearly 60 years, met anyone as kind as Greg. Md *Never.* Not even close. Greg was such a special person. I sincerely hope the residents, & people passing by in California, recognized an angel when they saw him.
He is still greatly missed.

MARCO
MARCO
5 years ago

I MI$$ NUMBER$ !!

Kevin L MichaelsSr
5 years ago

I remember that corner as the Yellow Sub. I almost lived there in 73-75. There was an outdoor flea-market just down the street….I bought many a pair of used Levis from there. 😉 Early on, I went to Fairfax and we would meet there after school. They had THE BEST avocado w/beansprout subs I have EVER had! I was a young freelance-pharmacologist at the time and from Melrose up to Laurel Canyon {where I lived….on Wonderland….} above Sunset, that WAS THE SCENE. This was back in the day when Starwood was new and Gino’s on Melrose was great for finding… Read more »

da90027da90027Derek
5 years ago

The people back then were friendlier and the whole area was not as pretentious. I kind of do miss the seediness of it and the old streetcar tracks down the middle. Life was simpler back then no cellphones…people spoke to each other. You go to any of these bars now over half the guys have their face glued to their phone.

Bob Wilson
Bob Wilson
6 years ago

Great photos. That was the year I moved to LA. I was 20 yrs old & living at SM & Gardner. So great to see SM Blvd as it was!

mike dunn
mike dunn
6 years ago

The pic’s did bring back memories. There was a bar I believe somewhere near where the NAIL used to be that had male strippers. I don’t remember the Yellow Submarine at that location although there was one in Silverlake. Also near there was Kellys Steak House. My boss in the 1960’s and 1970’s used to take me there with his wife. My late lover worked at both the Mother Lode and Rage which was not mentioned as a DJ. The Italian place where Pump just opened had great food for take out. I think it lasted longer than any other… Read more »

Steven Blum
7 years ago

Love it. Would also be interesting to see slideshows from the 1930’s and 40’s when German Jewish immigrants made West Hollywood their home.

Jim Oblak
Jim Oblak
7 years ago

I walked my dogs past the corner of Crescent Heights and SMB a while back and noted that the old Gallery Room is now a pile of concrete rubble … what great times were had in that “coat and tie” bar in the mid 70’s … yes, we actually wore ties in a bar!

Rick Eshoo
Rick Eshoo
7 years ago

I remember it all like it was yesterday as well as seeing the Revolver that I once worked @ that had ’em lined all the way down Larrabee to Cynthia.
Thanks for the stroll down memory lane, Jon!

John Mackey
7 years ago

I quit drinking in January, 1983, and my sponsor suggested I throw my energies into the nascent movement to incorporate two square miles of county land between Hollywood & Beverly Hills. I memorized the map, and bucked up on Municipal Corporation Law. My purpose was to cause the local cable operator to servicing the new city with a municipal access channel. I was one of 40 candidates for the 5 new seats and I promised three things: 1) Night-time Council meetings, cablecast live; 2)Curb cuts along Santa Monica Blvd; 3) new parkland. I lost that campaign, but it gave me… Read more »

Click to Hide Advanced Floating Content

0 0 votes
Article Rating
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
x