West Hollywood is celebrating seniors in May. For more than 20 years, West Hollywood has organized an annual series of events to engage its thriving population of older community members. The tradition is rooted in President John F. Kennedy’s national designation of “Senior Citizens Month” in 1963; in 1980 President Jimmy Carter renamed it “Older Americans Month.”
The city’s Senior Month events include:
- The 13th Annual Senior Awards Luncheon, which will honor outstanding members of the senior community. The event will take place on May 7 at 11 a.m. at the Andaz West Hollywood, located at 8401 Sunset Blvd. near North Kings Road. The cost will be $5 per person. To RSVP and for more information, call (323) 876-1717.
- The 13th Annual Healthy Seniors Fair, which will feature presentations, health screenings and more than 40 community organization booths. The event will take place on May 21 from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. at the West Hollywood Community Center at Plummer Park, 7377 Santa Monica Blvd. near North Vista. Admission is free. A complimentary lunch will be provided. To RSVP and reserve lunch, please call (323) 848-6820.
- The City’s Senior Advisory Board meeting and reception, which will explore important community issues for seniors in West Hollywood. Refreshments will be served and admission is free. The meeting will take place on May 28 at 2 p.m. at the West Hollywood Library Community Meeting Room, located at 625 N. San Vicente Blvd. south of Santa Monica. For more information, call (323) 848-6510.
In addition, the City of West Hollywood and Jewish Family Services of Los Angeles will host two events as part of its 10th annual lecture series:
- Changes in Medicare and Medi-Cal, which will feature a presentation by the Center for Health Care Rights about the latest changes in California’s health care laws and enrollment options. This event will take place on May 8 from 2 p.m. to 3 p.m. at the West Hollywood Community Center at Plummer Park, 7377 Santa Monica Blvd., in Room 2. Admission is free and open to the public. Simultaneous translation in Russian will be available. For more information, please call (323) 876-1717.
- The Pacific Design Center Tour, which will be a docent-led excursion to the Pacific Design Center, the premier multi-use facility on the West Coast. The event will take place on May 15. The bus will depart at 10 a.m. and return at 12:30 p.m. from Plummer Park’s Fountain/Vista parking lot. Cost is $2 for members; $5 for non-members. For more information, call (323) 876-1717.