The L.A. County Sheriff’s Department’s Traffic Services Detail will be conducting a DUI (driving under the influence) checkpoint in West Hollywood on Saturday from 7 p.m. to 4 a.m. Sunday morning. The Sheriff’s Department does not announce the location of the DUI stop in advance.
In addition to removing intoxicated drivers from the roads, a focus of publicizing DUI checkpoints in advance is to increase awareness of the dangers of impaired driving and to encourage sober designated drivers. The West Hollywood Sheriff’s Station has the following safety tips:
• Be aware that even one drink can impair your judgment and increase the risk of getting arrested for driving drunk – or worse, the risk of having a crash while driving.
• If you will be drinking, do not plan on driving. Plan ahead; designate a sober driver before the party begins.
• If you have been drinking, do not drive. Call a taxi, phone a sober friend or family member, use public transportation or call one of your local sober ride home programs.
• If someone you know is drinking, do not let that person get behind the wheel.
• If you see an impaired driver on the road, contact law enforcement. Your actions may save someone’s life, and inaction could cost a life.
One transportation alternative for people enjoying nightlife in West Hollywood is The PickUp, which runs on Fridays and Saturdays from 8 p.m. to 3 a.m. and on selected holidays. The PickUp is free and travels along Santa Monica Boulevard in a six-mile loop with stops in each direction between Robertson Boulevard and La Brea Avenue. A detailed route map and more information about The PickUp is available online.
There are seven franchised taxi companies operating in the City of West Hollywood with more than 500 vehicles that are authorized to pick up passengers. A complete up-to-date list of taxi companies is available online. People also can secure rides using mobile phone apps for Uber and Lyft.