In an interview Sunday with WEHOville, a woman who lived across the hall from the apartment at 939 Palm Ave., where in 2014 sheriff’s deputies shot and killed one innocent man and wounded another, offered a chilling account of the incident that contradicts key testimony by the deputies. Catherine Novis reached out to WEHOville to object to statements by the deputies that they had not seen photos that she said she had provided to help the deputies distinguish the alleged attacker from his victims.
Novis’s allegations raise issues that might have been addressed in a “corrective action plan” that federal District Court Judge Dolly Gee demanded that the L.A. County Sheriff’s Department produce as part of a settlement in which Los Angeles County has paid a total of $7.5 million to the family of John Winkler, who was killed, and to Liam Mulligan, who was wounded by the deputies. The Sheriff’s Department last week released the corrective action plan after numerous requests from WEHOville. However it redacted all information that might have explained what action, if any, it actually took to ensure that such an incident doesn’t recur in West Hollywood. A spokesperson for the Sheriff’s Department said the redaction was ordered by a county attorney.
The department has not furnished a copy of the plan to Capt. Holly Perez, who took over leadership of the WeHo Sheriff’s Station earlier this year, well after the 939 Palm incident, or to city officials or members of the city council. While WEHOville has written several times about the corrective action plan requirement, apparently no city official and no member of the West Hollywood City Council has requested a copy of it. Several City Council members immediately defended the Sheriff’s deputies just after the shooting occurred. However over the past year there has been an effort to evaluate the local station’s management, and former Capt. Gary Honings, with some pressure from City Hall, took an early retirement to be replaced in February by Capt. Perez, who has focused on community engagement.
An investigation by the District Attorney’s office noted Novis’ testimony but accepted the declarations of the three deputies that they had not seen the photos in its decision not to prosecute them. The D.A.’s office said “California law permits the use of deadly force in self-defense or in the defense of others if it reasonably appears to the person claiming the right of self-defense or the defense of others that he actually and reasonably believed that he or others were in imminent danger of great bodily injury or death.” Standards for conviction are lower in civil cases, which apparently is why the L.A. County Board of Supervisors decided to make the $7.5 million payout
The deputies involved in the shooting, Gerardo Valdivia, Michael Fairbanks and Bryon Holloway, are still on duty in West Hollywood. Because of the Sheriff’s Department’s refusal to reveal the corrective action plan it is unclear whether they were disciplined or given special training to reduce chances that an incident like that at 939 Palm will happen again.
On April 6, 2014, the day of the shooting, Catherine Novis had been texting Liam Mulligan, who shared Apartment 201 across the hall with a young woman and with Alexander McDonald, who Novis had dated at one time. Then, in the evening, Novis settled down to watch television in her living room. Suddenly she heard a helicopter and loud sirens outside her apartment.
Novis said she went to the main balcony, which is between her apartment and an adjacent apartment, where she stood with a neighbor and saw squad cars from the West Hollywood Sheriff’s Station arriving. Novis then stepped into the hall outside her apartment and knocked on Mulligan’s door. “I knocked on the door and said ‘Liam what’s going on? Get out here’,” she said. “I turned around, and all of a sudden my roommate says ‘Stop. That’s my roommate. What are you doing?'”
Then, Novis said, “I turned around and screamed and fell to my knees. I had a bunch of guns in my face, with the white lasers and their fingers on the trigger. I thought that I was dead … I don’t know that you’ve ever experienced that, but you think that you’re done. You think that the cops are supposed to be careful.”
Novis said deputies then “came into my apartment to use the bathroom, and one of the deputies said ‘You were on the balcony, and you have to be careful. We almost shot you’.”
“I’m a very tiny girl, I weigh like a hundred pounds,” said Novis, who was 28 at the time and noted that the suspect actually was a man, not a woman. “If they had shot me, I would have been dead in an instant. I wouldn’t have survived.” Novis said she was facing at least four guns, one of them a “bean bag” gun, and the others shotguns or rifles. “It feels like you are dead,” Novis said of the incident. “You spend the rest of the night feeling like you’re dead.”
“It was probably the worst night of my life. It definitely changed my life for the worst. I still get flashbacks. I have done therapy every single week since that day.”
Novis said she showed Deputy Fairbanks a photo on her mobile phone of Mulligan and Chris Moretti, a friend of Mulligan’s who McDonald allegedly was attacking inside the apartment, and also a photo of McDonald himself. She said Fairbanks looked at the picture of McDonald and said: “That’s our guy.” He then passed the phone to the other deputies.
“They lied,” Novis said, referring to the deputies’ denial to investigators that they had seen the photos of McDonald and Mulligan that she showed them. “It’s just gross.” Novis noted that the three men looked very different. In addition to their very distinct faces, Winkler, then 30, was a well-built man with strawberry blonde hair. Mulligan, an Australian, had a large build. McDonald was thin with an upswept hairstyle.
Novis, a ten-year resident of West Hollywood, moved soon after the shooting but still lives in WeHo. Now, she said, she is afraid of sheriff’s deputies.” I’m honestly scared to get pulled over by them,” she said. Novis said she and at least one other tenant have videos of parts of the situation but she has been advised by her lawyer not to release it until McDonald stands trial. He is charged with murder, among other charges, apparently because his actions provoked the police response that led to Winkler’s killing.
Novis questioned why the immediate response at 939 Palm was so violent. “You’re in someone’s home,” she said of the deputies who entered the apartment building. “You know that multiple people live there.” Novis said that not long after the incident she was eating at IHOP and “saw the guy that shot them and had this sickening feeling. They get to wake up in the morning and go to work. John Winkler doesn’t.”
Novis isn’t the only person who has objected to the deputies’ handling of the situation. Larry Block, a local activist and owner of The Block Party clothing store, has complained that one of his employees, who lived at 939 Palm, was handled roughly by deputies when he tried to enter the building. Another resident complained that he was handcuffed until someone said he was not the suspected attacker.
$100,000,000 for a park. You could fund your own police department for that kind of dough.
The entire episode is very sad and depressing particularly given that there appears to be a total lack of accountability for what appears to be an amateur over-reaction by the Sheriff’s Department. The millions won’t bring Winkler back nor will ever fully compensate Liam Mulligan. Ms. Norvis demonstrated a lot of courage and commitment to our community by coming forward to tell us about her horrific experience.
Alex McDonald was apparently acting crazy but he did not kill anyone. Had the police acted appropriately or showed any restraint whatsoever (nobody was charging at them with a weapon or posed an imminent threat), there would have been no deaths. It’s an unfortunate situation all around and McDonald certainly deserves a punishment, but a murder charge? Because the police acted impulsively and without proper due diligence? That’s ludicrous. I could buy an involuntary manslaughter charge, but to say he premeditated the death of Winkler, who was fleeing the scene, is nuts.
@Voice of Reason, which you are not: I was not called to a multiple unit property to sort out the chaos because I am not trainred, paid, qualified or otherwise entitled to do so. Your “voice of reason” is ludicrous on it’s face. The officers were supposed to be highly trained professionals who are called to intervene in emergency situations, make good judgements & to save innocent lives. not take them. This was not an “Oops, sorry, let’s try something else” action, this was a great tragedy that not only took an innocent life, it changed the lives of many… Read more »
If you were called to a multiple unit property with numerous residents and had to sort out the chaos, don’t be so sure you would be able to sort out this scene.
McDonald is the cause of the scene that caused death – he deserved murder charges and in my opinion the death penalty.
This incident had nothing to do with sexual preference.
Laying the blame on the rescuers is absurd.
Woody has a great point here. “code of silence” At the Public Safety commission meeting in the discussion of the commissions ‘purview’ not a single commissioner spoke up to challenge the police and fire. Purview will be on next month’s agenda and if you think the we can do a better job of challenging police and holding them accountable then show up and speak up.
Good point Justin. Since it is being called murder, it necessarily follows that the murderer is the one who pulled the trigger. Can’t have it both ways, it’s a no-brainer
Also, while it’s clear that Alexander McDonald deserves to be prosecuted, the fact the DA is charging him with MURDER, because of the officer’s abrupt and ill-planned actions is nuts.
What it has to do with is a totally incompetent police force for West Hollywood. The three deputies hide behind the LA Country’s bail out, like John Duran did with the Grinder debacle, and continue operating in the city. A new group should be formed called WIRE THE WEHO SHERIFFS.
The question remains, will the incumbent CC candidates be called to account for their behavior when they are questioned by constituents during their campaigns for reelection or will the voters continue to accept business as usual & the same meaningless rhetoric? Will Duran be put on the hot seat for his “deputy” disaster that cost the city nearly $1 million? This is not his first time at the public trough. Will Duran & Heilman continue to get away with their romance with developers that is suffocating our city streets & residential neighborhoods, causing local real estate to keep skyrocketing out… Read more »
John was NOT gay, Jessica. This has nothing to do with sexual orientation.
It is time for GAY LIFE MATTERS be formed and compensate for the ludicrous WEHO City Council pandering to their corrupt police department. The three cops killed this innocent gay guy. As for the police, WEHO deputy sheriffs are overweight bulbous baboons you can see eating in every coffee shop where they discount their meals at 50%. It used to be the French Quarter. It is amazing these LA County Sheriff gay killing cops are still on the streets of WEHO. The WEHO City Council must be the most insensitive self-aggrandizing, narcissistic political collection on the planet. We’ve had years… Read more »