Bizarre Suicide at Sierra Towers as Man Jumps from 27th Floor

Sierra Towers West Hollywood

A man died last week after jumping to his death from the 27th floor of Sierra Towers, the ultra-exclusive luxury high rise that is home to some of the top celebrities. However, the man was not a resident of the building.

The West Hollywood Sheriff’s station confirmed that a man jumped from the balcony of a vacant unit in the building on Nov. 2 at approximately 2:30 p.m. He gained access to the apartment by posing as a prospective buyer. When the realtor’s back was turned, he went to the balcony and jumped off.

The Sheriff’s station Watch Commander reports there was no foul play involved and that several people witnessed his fall. He died upon impact with the ground below.

The management of the Sierra Towers declined to comment when WEHOville telephoned asking for more information.

Located at 9255 Doheny Road, off Sunset Boulevard, Sierra Towers stands 31 stories high and was built in 1965 from designs by mid-century modern architect Jack Charney. Because it is built on a hill, it is the highest building above sea level in the greater Los Angeles area.

With 146 units, it originally opened as an apartment building, but converted to condominiums in 1974 and quickly began attracting celebrity residents.

Elton John has owned a unit there, as have Joan Collins, Adam Sandler, Lily Collins, David Geffen, Sidney Poitier, Sandra Bullock and Kelly Osbourne. Two of TV’s Friends – Matthew Perry and Courtney Cox – have owned units there. Cher famously owned two units on adjoining floors and had them combined into one giant two-story condo.

The Hollywood Reporter said in a 2011 expo of the building, “There is no other residential building in Los Angeles that has housed such a diverse and large group of notables.”

The sweeping views of the region come with a hefty price tag. Some units are reported to cost upwards of $2,000 per square foot. Earlier this year, Courtney Cox sold her 1,300 square foot unit on the 25th floor for $2.9 million.

3.2 13 votes
Article Rating

Notify of
guest

Newest
Oldest
Inline Feedbacks
Zora Zeene
Zora Zeene

Nothing to joke about.

Randy
Randy
3 months ago

Some of these comments on this article sicken me. Someone DIED. Making jokes about HOA dues, or saying this isn’t newsworthy, are just gross. This is our local community. This story has validity, and its not funny, nor is it funny to make fun of this situation.

Randy

Eric Jon Schmidt
Eric Jon Schmidt
Reply to  Randy

Agreed. His friends and family are suffering. This is not a funny matter.

Cynthia Cullen
Cynthia Cullen
3 months ago

The news spread like wildfire. I received the call that my father
Paul Robbins was death from friends from the city of Long Beach that worked with him for 28 years .
My dad is alive and didn’t jump . It wasn’t even him . But sadly someone did pass away .

Jay
Jay
Reply to  Randy

Thank you for saying what I was thinking, Randy!

Woody McBreairty
Woody McBreairty
Reply to  Jay

Agree

Cynthia Cullen
Cynthia Cullen
Reply to  Randy

Agree wholeheartedly. I am the daughter of Paul Robbins the Long Beach City Retired man . I received a phone call that my father was dead . He is NOT dead. But someone did die and it’s very sad .

joe
joe

Here’s why
HOA dues: $3,442/mo

Jerome Cleary
Jerome Cleary
3 months ago

There’s no mention that 911 was called immediately so I am guessing just security was first called who arrived as the debate went on for about 5 minutes with the jumper not to jump. If the police had arrived maybe the police or fire department could have tackled him on the balcony to prevent him from jumping.

EARL A BIRKETT
EARL A BIRKETT
3 months ago

this looks like a building that I have seen in several tv series from the late 1960’s like The Name of the Game. An episode also featured a woman killed by a leap from a high floor, but she was murdered.

Keith
Keith
3 months ago

I found this 27 floor apt for sale in this tower. I wonder if this is the apartment? >> https://www.opendoor.com/homes/9255-doheny-rd-2702-west-hollywood-ca-90069 ?? If not at least it gives us a perspective of the height of the apartment

I wonder who the decedent is? I would imagine prospective buyers of a $5 million condo are vetted by the realtor before given a preview so the decedent was not just “anybody” He (she?) must have been a “big shot”

Ron
Ron
Reply to  Keith

You’re close – it was #2701. And no, 75yo Paul Robbins was not a bigshot by any means. A retired City of Long Beach employee!

Cynthia Cullen
Cynthia Cullen
Reply to  Ron

Paul Robbins the retired Long Beach city worker is my father . I received a call saying my father was DEAD !!!
He is very much alive . To me he’s a big shot in the most respectful way . He’s a wonderful dad and this was horrible news to get .
HE IS VERY MUCH ALIVE !

Robert Frano
Robert Frano
3 months ago

I went to a slew of these during my paramedic career…
Why this person felt a need to leap from this particular location is an object of curiosity…

Ron
Ron
Reply to  Robert Frano

The jumper lived in a three-story apartment building just southwest of La Cienega and Olympic, so presumably, he wanted to make sure he was successful, and chose basically the closest tall building. Wonder if he considered others say downtown.

Xavier
Xavier
3 months ago

Not much info about “Bizarre Suicide” but a lop of boring news about previous residents. What a stupid article.

realfactchecke
realfactchecke
3 months ago

Prospects should be advised of the Asking Price on the ground.

stacy benedict
stacy benedict
Reply to  realfactchecke

I agree. 😊

Keith
Keith
Reply to  realfactchecke

LOL

john T Morzenti
3 months ago

At least the poor sod died not with a whimper but with a loud SPLAT!

Keith
Keith

Hahahaha

Cynthia Cullen
Cynthia Cullen
3 months ago

It saddens me to read what you wrote .
I received a call that my father Paul Robbins was dead the man that jumped off the building . As I fell to my knees and screamed and couldn’t caught my breath . Come to find out it was the wrong paul robbins. I’m glad you think your comment is funny but it truly isn’t . May the man rest in Heaven . Remember he died because he was sick and didn’t want to be a Burden. Shame on you

Jay
Jay
Reply to  Cynthia Cullen

I am so sorry to hear that happened to you, Cynthia! My only hope is that it brings you and your father closer together. Agree with all your comments!

Woody McBreairty
Woody McBreairty
3 months ago

Strange. In 1969, Diane Linkletter, daughter of Art, jumped from a window of her 6th floor apt at Sierra Towers, to her death. In 1995, the celebrated Russian ballet star, Alexander Godunov, died at Sierra Towers, commonly believed to be suicide, although some of his friends attributed his death to alcoholism.

Snarkygal
Snarkygal
3 months ago

Strange? How is this strange? People suicide by jumping off high places all the time. Nothing strange about it.

Robert Frano
Robert Frano
Reply to  Snarkygal

…I can’t argue W/ that!!

BoatyMcBoatface
BoatyMcBoatface
Reply to  Robert Frano

Stranger still would be people suiciding by jumping off low places.

Kluma
Kluma
Reply to  Snarkygal

Setting up a showing to jump is strange. And the poor real estate agent probably making small talk as tgey go up the elevator. No, i want to see something higher. Strange

Don Jones
Don Jones
3 months ago

I believe both Miss Linkletter and Mr. Godunov died at Shoreham Towers and not Sierra Towers. Shoreham Towers is also just off Sunset Blvd. about a mile east of Sierra Towers.

Woody McBreairty
Woody McBreairty
Reply to  Don Jones

@Don Jones U R absolutely right. My bad…

Keith
Keith
Reply to  Don Jones

Yep, Linkletter jumped out of a window of her sixth-floor apartment at the Shoreham Towers

Eric Jon Schmidt
Eric Jon Schmidt
3 months ago

that is not the same building she jumped from.

trackback

[…] According to the West Hollywood Sheriff’s office, at approximately 2:30 p.m. on Nov. 2, a man posing as a buyer gained access to an apartment on the 27th floor of the 31-story Sierra Towers, located at 9255 Doheny Road off Sunset Boulevard. The man, who remains unidentified, jumped from the balcony of the vacant unit when the realtor showing him the unit was distracted, falling all the way to the ground below; he was confirmed to have died upon impact, reports say. […]

Cynthia Cullen
Cynthia Cullen
3 months ago

I got a call that it was my father
Paul Robbins that was the man that jumped. Wrong paul robbins. I still am shaking from the phone calls I got .

Click to Hide Advanced Floating Content

TaxSlayer Simply Free Tax Filing

3.2
votes
Article Rating
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
x