UPDATE: Stolen French bulldog reunited with owner

UPDATE: Rachel Avery has been reunited with Jag, her French bulldog stolen just over a week ago from his front porch, according to ABC 7. Avery received a call from a person in Philadelphia promising to return the dog if she wasn’t prosecuted. Jag is now home safe.

Three men in an SUV stole Jag, a French bulldog, from his front porch last Sunday evening around 5:30pm after the dog managed to slip out of his collar while being walked by a guardian. The dog proceeded to desperately run home to safety when three men in a black SUV saw the dog running on Sunset and Sweetzer and started chasing him by foot and in a car, telling people it was their dog and asking if people could help them catch him. Running so fast, the dog managed to escape the thieves on Sunset Blvd. but they were persistent, acting fast to kidnap this beloved family member.

The French bulldog made it home, sitting scared on the front doorstep waiting for the door to open. His owner, Rachel Avery, was running around the neighborhood frantically trying to find him. After escaping the thieves the first time the SUV pulled up again outside the Avery’s residence, got out, and started asking neighbors where the dog was — not because they wanted to find its owner, but because they wanted to steal it.

It was pointed out that Jag was home on his front porch when the thief began telling people, “That’s my dog Chico”. The thief then quickly took the dog from his front porch and put it in the SUV. The man wasn’t interested in finding the owner and is suspected of ill intent of depriving the owner of permanent loss as he never knocked on the owner’s door lying telling people it was his dog.

The license plates were taken because of the suspicious nature of the incident. One witness said, “That dog looked scared when that man picked him up and I just knew then it wasn’t his dog”.

The license plate was a rental car from Enterprise returned the next day. Several witnesses at the scene of the crime gave detailed descriptions of the thieves. Video footage was found from restaurants on Sunset Blvd. with the thieves. “I’m astonished at how many witnesses took the time to care and rally to provide so much evidence,” Avery said. “I can’t believe these people commited a crime so blatantlyin broaddaylight with so many cameras and witnesses.

As evidence builds it’s only a matter of time that these dognappers may be charged with grand theft and burglary.

Avery says she only wants her dog back saying she’s willing to drop all grand theft investigations if she simply has her dog back safe and healthy. Jag has special medical needs and was on medication and a special diet. Without it, Avery doesn’t know how long he will live.

There is a $5,000 reward with the safe return of what the owner says is her “snuggle buddy”. No questions asked.

“It just kills me that cruel people took advantage of an already horrible situation. I was terrified that Jag was going to get run over by a car but I never would have imagined he would be taken within a matter of minutes. I haven’t slept or eaten since he’s been gone. I cannot imagine my life without my baby boy. He is my pride and joy. I don’t have biological children so he is nothing less than my child, snatched away from me. I will never give up looking for him. Never.”

Please call 760-833-2096 with any tips or information.

0 0 votes
Article Rating

Notify of
guest

Newest
Oldest
Inline Feedbacks
Val
Val
2 days ago

LOL at how not once are the descriptions of the suspects mentioned.

TomSmart
TomSmart
3 days ago

The dog has been recovered in Pennsylvania. The 10k reward was likely paid I’m guessing

Robin
Robin
2 days ago
Reply to  TomSmart

Are you SURE of this??

TomSmart
TomSmart
2 days ago
Reply to  Robin

100%

TomSmart
TomSmart
3 days ago

I’m told the sheriffs haven’t done anything yet and haven’t even subpoenaed the car rental company. If true, this is pathetic. WEHO Council, where are you????

JF1
JF1
3 days ago
Reply to  TomSmart

The rise in crime is solely on the city council and their inaction.

Sonic Chaos
Sonic Chaos

Unreadable. Editors? Hello?

angry gay pope
5 days ago

This is a bad crime. Nevertheless the image of her holding a dog in a foofy hat is sad. If she treats dogs like people does she treat people like dogs? A very common phenom in this town.

TomSmart
TomSmart
5 days ago
Reply to  angry gay pope

Sadly, not very much compassion for this dog nor the guardian in these comments. It’s a horrible crime and I hope the Council makes sure the Sheriffs are on this case and EVERY crime committed in WEHO.

Cy Husain
5 days ago

NOT unexpected when WE are in the middle of an overwhelming COVID-19 pandemic ☣ compounded by economic hardships that disproportionately effects the most oppressed minority groups. Now we are expected to drop any & every major concern over celebrities (with 7 or 8 figure incomes) having their overpriced lap dogs stolen by people suffering food insecurity & lacking healthcare, REALLY ❓ So far spending 10 times more on paramilitary policing (that makes problems worse) than would fix the underlaying social problems has been popular 😢 Celebrities get yourself a shelter pet

Empathy isn’t limited
Empathy isn’t limited
Reply to  Cy Husain

We can care about multiple things and show empathy to anyone who experiences a loss. Dogs are companions to a lot of people and stealing someone’s companion for profit is just wrong.

Nobody asked Weho to drop everything and forget about other problems. Stop chastising others because they aren’t your focus. It’s unkind and preachy.

Cy Husain
4 days ago

WOW, consider extending that empathy when the CIA drone strikes entire 3rd World Families, or an Iraqi puppy is thrown to its death off a cliff by an invading US marine. The happy ending is that their dogs Caucasian Shepherds and Turkish Kangals grew up to run off the invaders, handing western imperialism another defeat ❗ 👏 As opposed to overpriced lap dogs, shelter pets can defend you better than any cops ever will. My Canidae Friend, I found for FREE as a puppy grew into something NOT to be messed with.🐺

Empathy isn’t limited
Empathy isn’t limited
4 days ago
Reply to  Cy Husain

Again, you think empathy has limits and that you can’t sympathize with all of the people involved in the situations you’ve outlined and someone who had their dog stolen. You want a medal for having a dog you found for free but can’t extend any empathy to someone who paid for their dog? You’re more interested in picking fights and self aggrandizing statements than being kind. You diminish the causes that you include in unrelated tirades that you lob them around as weapons. It’s sad and a damn shame.

Cy Husain
3 days ago

Like the oppressors really need the “empathy” of the oppressed, talk about “self aggrandizing ❗ ” 🤣

Not Empathy
Not Empathy
4 days ago

Hi Empathy,
While I agree with the sentiment of your name, you’ve somehow gotten attached to my email address instead of your own. Please correct your account!

Stevie
Stevie
4 days ago
Reply to  Cy Husain

As usual, you blame all the minorities problems on the evil white man, never once making a minority take responsibility for themself. Isn’t that how democrats keep people in poverty, keep shoveling more welfare money to them? Oh and celebrities do have their shelter pets, they’re called the hired help.

Cy Husain
4 days ago
Reply to  Stevie

As usual the evil white man is the problem, especially when they are republicans. They are generating poverty through excessive military/law enforcement spending and tax breaks to the ultrawealthy, where as social spending that drastically needs to be increased is a much better economic stimulus. Oh so far I have a good track record of “taking personal responsibility” for making sure the rich pay their taxes, getting their employees higher wages and benefits and, Environmental Protection ❗

Last edited 4 days ago by Cy Husain
WehoQueen
WehoQueen
5 days ago

Something isn’t quite adding up in this story. Regardless, It’s easy to blame the three lightweights on the City Council, Shine, Horvath and Erickson, but they didn’t cause this. Yes, it’s true, they cause virtually every other ill in the City, but not this. If there is any truth in the story, surely it is yet another irresponsible pet owner/guardian, who doesn’t know how to secure a dog to a leash/harness. And they are going to cry to the media, how much they love and miss their stolen pet, but the truth is they clearly didn’t care about or protect… Read more »

Michael Grace
Michael Grace
5 days ago

Blame the dreadful SHE. Horvath, Shine and Erickson. We need cops on the beat, not some safety commission or community patrol. Don’t defund the police. Sue the SHE and the City of West Hollywood in a breach of public trust lawsuit.

Cool calm heads needed
Cool calm heads needed
Reply to  Michael Grace

By not having the confidence of “cops on the beat” the city is by default encouraging private citizen vigilante actions which will lead to gun incidents and certainly spiral out of control.

We need cool, calm heads.

Huh?
Huh?
Reply to  Michael Grace

I wasn’t aware LASD had abandoned Sunset Blvd.

CrimeStopopers
CrimeStopopers
5 days ago

Imagine writing an article like this and NOT mentioning what the suspects looked like. I can only assume there’s a reason for that….

#suetheSHE
#suetheSHE
Reply to  CrimeStopopers

Yes, because they are Tranny Swimmers from Cal State.

Robin
Robin
Reply to  CrimeStopopers

I noticed that too….. What tha’?

Stevie
Stevie
Reply to  CrimeStopopers

You’ll find their description in the reparations study the Counciltwits are proposing.

Woody McBreairty
Woody McBreairty
5 days ago

I’m sorry & hope the dog is safely returned. He certainly knew his neighborhood & how to get home. But I’ll ever be baffled by how a dog “slips his leash”. It just doesn’t seem reasonable that a leash/collar are loose enough to allow a dog to escape from them while they are being walked & watched. My dog wears a harness which keeps him much more secure & a very securely attached leash which I keep checking on. Residents should be aware by now that West Hollywood has already been a target for kidnapping French bulldogs & extra precautions… Read more »

Michelle Clay
Michelle Clay
5 days ago

Well Woody, you haven’t been around many escape artists, eh? I have had two that could maneuver out of tight collars and every harness I got for them. Fortunately I heard about Macintosh collars, a two piece collar, that’s cinches down when they try to maneuver out, it’s the only one that works well.

JCB
JCB
2 days ago
Reply to  Michelle Clay

I think the correct term for the collar you describe is a Martingale. collar, and you are right, it’s much more effective than a regular collar.

Last edited 2 days ago by JCB
Jimmy Palmieri
Jimmy Palmieri
3 days ago

I haven’t used a collar on my dogs, other than for holding their tags. I use a harness. Yes some can escape a harness, but not as easily. I feel so bad for this woman, and the dog. Its just heartbreaking.

Click to Hide Advanced Floating Content

votes
Article Rating
Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
x