Planning Commissioner Hoopingarner submits resignation

Last Thursday at the West Hollywood Design Review Subcommittee meeting, while reviewing the potential traffic and circulation design issues for a project that would include event and banquet space, I used an example of a large Persian wedding where the guests would all be arriving at the same time.  Please know that my comment was intended to reference a large, festive event and the resulting traffic patterns, and was not made with any malice towards the Iranian or Persian communities.  I am genuinely sorry for any pain that this comment may have caused. Those of you who know me, know I believe in West Hollywood being an inclusive city.  I hear the members of the community who have expressed disappointment with my comment, which was inelegant and unintentionally inappropriate.  Again, I am very sorry.  However, given the magnitude of the distraction that this comment has created, I feel that I will no longer be able to be as effective a Commissioner as I would hope to be in my continuing service to the city. I am therefore submitting my resignation to Mayor Lauren Meister effective immediately. It has been my privilege and honor to serve our city as a Planning Commissioner and I thank the Mayor for the opportunity.

Lynn M. Hoopingarner

0 0 votes
Article Rating

Notify of
guest

Newest
Oldest
Inline Feedbacks
George
George
4 months ago

I am sad but this is probably for the best. Best of luck for your new endeavors Lynn. Take good care!

Always an Asset
Always an Asset
4 months ago

Last night the Pkanning Commission was respectfully channeling Lynn Hoopengarner at Design Review. And then up popped Lynn herself with salient comments about the project and later consulted in the discussion for additional input. Position on the PC will likely not deter her service in advocating for better projects. Chair Carvelhiero commented that her’s were “big shoes to fill”. So true. Perhaps Mayor Meister will re-appoint Lynn after the dust settles. Either way, she took the high road and will always be an asset.

Susan
Susan

Amen and well said

DBF
DBF
4 months ago

Absolutely, positively ridiculous!!! If you have ever been to a Persian wedding, you know how festive and large they are. I think Lynn gave a good example….I guess I’m a racist too!

Younger WeHo
Younger WeHo
Reply to  DBF

Yeah you are. Also confused. Glad to see her go.

DesertBob
DesertBob
4 months ago

It’s almost now a given that public commentary on just about any article in this “News de Ville” production is infested by far-right cranks blaming the world’s ills on such intangibles as “wokeness” and anything else to the left of Adolf Hitler…or Dumb Donnie tRump. Congratulations, dingleberries…your far-right idealogues installed on the Supremes by your Fat Fuehrer (and Dumbya and Daddy Bush) are poised to obliterate stare decisis by trashing Roe v. Wade, and, along with it, the legal underpinnings of your gay marriage, your sex life, and anything else the church nutballs and southern inbreds don’t like about you.… Read more »

Last edited 4 months ago by DesertBob
Support for Hoopingarner
Support for Hoopingarner
4 months ago

Cancel culture at its best! I am Persian, I live in the area and I know Hoopingarner is NOT racist. She is kind, reasonable and brings common sense to the council. Big development needs all angles to be considered and should not be pushed down the residents throats without true data studied and real life events contemplated. I hope Hoopingarner reconsiders her resignation.

gregor

I agree!

Concerned Weho Resident
Concerned Weho Resident
4 months ago

This is ridiculous! I am Persian. I find absolutely no offense to her comment. Many Persian weddings, parties and large events use banquet halls. Lynn was giving an example of possible traffic due to parking issues for events of more than 300+ people; especially since it is such a major intersection. Enough of the ridiculous name calling and false accusations. She is the only commissioner who thoughtfully considers projects and the effects to neighborhoods. This was another way for the very woke members of council to try to crucify a hardworking ally to the community. I find it disgusting and… Read more »

gregor

I agree!

Lost In Armenia
Lost In Armenia
4 months ago

Virtue signal. As someone who IS Middle Eastern, we have large weddings and I was not offended in the least. Get over yourselves.

gregor

I agree!

Edie
Edie
4 months ago

I doubt anyone actually had their feelings hurt. We live in a society where people pretend to get their feelings hurt so they can either get attention, get their way, or both.

Harambe's Vengeful Ghost
Harambe's Vengeful Ghost
4 months ago

Muchado about nothing, come back! Now these radical lunatics will run unchecked and destroy our iNcLuSiVe CiTy!

Mike Carter
Mike Carter
4 months ago

Commissioner Hoopingarner. Thank you for your fine service to our community. We will be hard put to find dedication matching your own.

We’re on the edge of our seats waiting for the opportunity to take offense at something. In a word, pathetic. Empowering? Not in the least.

Rose
Rose
4 months ago

I have much disdain for the entire Planning Commissions setup & process That said – THIS IS SUCH AN ABSURD OVERREACTION OVER NOTHING. There are a lot of wealthy Persian ancestry in the area (among MANY groups who have events in WeHo. The Bravo show SHAHS OF SUNSET shows a very large active family based Americans who spend money for family gatherings & parties. Just like most people who have money and like to celebrate. WeHo has the market cornered for high end hotel event space. As long as parking is part of a project, there is nothing to discuss.… Read more »

Roy Oldenkamp
Roy Oldenkamp
4 months ago

These hysterical overreactions for comments meant as illustrations of a valid point are exactly why the right is getting such purchase in American households. We look like strident idiots. There is a large Persian populace twenty feet from our border-second largest in the world! That’s wonderful! How about we all acknowledge it, and celebrate Iranian ties to family and celebrations? Do you think wedding guests will be walking from BH? Crikey, what a city of whiners. I’m sad “woke” has become this toxic. And the council dais response was hardly gracious, either. C’mon! We have lost a superb commissioner.

Harambe's Vengeful Ghost
Harambe's Vengeful Ghost
Reply to  Roy Oldenkamp

Woke has always been toxic, Roy.

Would love your thoughts, please comment.x
x