West Hollywood City Council is considering an ordinance to amend the Municipal Code that would allow and regulate temporary cannabis events in the city.
The ordinance would add a new section to Chapter 5.70 of the code to issue temporary cannabis event licenses to applicants, while suspending some smoking rules in the area of the event. To receive a license, applicants would need to comply with certain conditions, including obtaining an organizer license and a temporary event license from the California Department of Cannabis Control, as well as an approved special event permit from the city. The proposed ordinance also establishes designated locations for temporary cannabis events and allows for administrative penalties or event shutdowns if license requirements are not met.
According to the proposed amendments, temporary cannabis events in the City of West Hollywood may take place in two designated locations: privately-owned venues with express City Manager or designee approval and city streets in accordance with applicable street closure law.
- The California Business and Professions Code Section 26200(e) authorizes local jurisdictions to expressly approve venues for temporary cannabis events within their jurisdictions.
- Temporary cannabis events shall mean an event of limited duration, and located within a specific area, which allows the on-site sale and/or consumption of cannabis at the event, in compliance with specific codes and regulations.
- A West Hollywood Temporary Cannabis Event License shall mean a license issued by the City of West Hollywood, which will entitle the holder to organize a temporary cannabis event at the date, time, and location specified in the license, subject to all West Hollywood laws, restrictions, and conditions.
- Any entity requesting to obtain a West Hollywood Temporary Cannabis Event License must also obtain a state cannabis event organizer license and a state temporary cannabis event license issued by the California Department of Cannabis Control before the event.
- Applicants for a West Hollywood Temporary Cannabis Event License must comply with all requirements of Chapter 19.55, unless otherwise stated in the ordinance.
- A West Hollywood Temporary Cannabis Event License holder and all retailers shall comply with all conditions required under state and City licenses and permits, in addition to the specific conditions listed in the ordinance.
- Only retailers can sell cannabis goods during an event, and retailers must follow all state and local rules for on-site sales and consumption.
- Odor must be controlled with the use of a ventilation system, waste must be disposed of in designated waste receptacles and in accordance with state law, and noise must be controlled with the use of noise mitigation devices and in compliance with Chapter 9.08.
- Any retailers at the cannabis event must either possess a West Hollywood Cannabis Business License pursuant to Chapter 5.70 and be operating the business in good standing.
This is such a terrible idea
Stoners rarely have good ideas.
As it should be.
Let me get this straight (if you’ll forgive the expression) One cannot smoke legal-to-buy in 50 states tobacco products in the privacy of one’s own home, on the streets, in city parks or in restaurants but these vendors can apply for permits for smoking events if there is “ventilation.”
Where are they venting to, outer space?
WTF?! We don’t need this. This is not we residents had in mind when we backed allowing pot into our city. We have enough problems. Seriously. What is this council trying to do to our city. It used to be such a nice place to live.
Yep just one more flush into the sewer that West Hollywood has become.
This ordinance doesn’t stand a chance at NOT passing. But smoking pot on streets with City Manager approval? Sorry, that’s already happening every day without any approval.
But it’s not one large giant party with a huge influx of people with street closures!
These events are not for the residents. They are far outsiders. Who will make a lot of noise, bring in a lot of traffic, storm the streets stoned, and spend the money here to support businesses. Instead of this totally useless City Council (you wonder how many of them are stoned all the time) redoing the entire street lighting system, based on modern countries like Germany or South Korea, or even Manhattan.. the political hacks will be doing more Woke slop or investing money in something like Block by Blockhead run by a convicted murderer to be politically correct!